Fearless With Dad, Cori Brooke (author), Giuseppe Poli (illus.), New Frontier Publishing, 2015.
What a joyous celebration of the relationship between a boy and his Dad. Whether they’re real or imagined, the possibilities for adventure are unlimited. Enthusiastic, optimistic and brave, this little boy doesn’t hold back, as long as his dad is with him. Riding big waves, kicking goals, moon travel and fast cars, discovering how to be a builder, chef, rock star and superhero, through good times and bad, Dad is always there.
I love the heartwarming and positive feel of the text along with the variety and vivacious illustrations that make this book so endearing. The subtle humour and cheekiness, sense of spirit and obvious affection amongst the softly painted spreads allows for a wonderfully sensory experience. I hope Dads are ready for a wild ride this Father’s Day!
What kinds of activities do you enjoy doing with your Dad?
Look at the cover. What does the word ‘fearless’ mean? What does this tell you about the kind of story this might be?
Do you think they really travelled to the moon and back?
What is ‘daggy’? What makes them ‘cool’?
What do you notice about the illustrations (colours, interpretations, media)?
What words can you use to describe the boy? Words to describe Dad? Are there any activities in the book that you have done with your Dad / special person?
What was your favourite part? Why?
What have you realised about the role of Dads? Are they always fun? Do they also teach important lessons? Do you think the boy could be brave without his Dad? Why or why not?
“Build a sturdy, wide bridge.”
Get your engineering hats on! It’s time to build!
Check out these awesome bridge ideas on pinterest and learn the physics of force and different kinds of structures.
“Travel to the moon and back.”
Get imaginative with a cardboard box! The possibilites are endless!
Check out these amazing box inventions from Tip Junkie.
“I can be a farmer.”
1. Get your beans out! Play an addition game of ‘Magic Beans’.
Outcomes: Know and count numbers up to 10. Add numbers to make 10.
- Paint / texta any colour on one side of each of the 10 beans (dried lima beans or butter beans).
- Take turns to toss the beans in the air.
- Count and record the number of beans fallen on the plain side, and the number of beans fallen on the painted side. Example, 4 and 6 is 10, 7 and 3 is 10, and so on.
- Ask, what is the equation when they are all the same?
- Extension: Make equations for subtraction, by taking away the smaller amount of colour beans. Example, 10 take away 2 is 8, and so on.
Find a sorting and counting bean activity at The Imagination Tree.
2. Get your rulers out! Measure your growing plant.
Outcomes: Observe growth by marking the heights of a plant over time.
- In your garden bed or a jar, plant a seed or bulb.
- Place a measuring stick (strip of wood) next to your plant with the starting height and date.
- Continue to mark the growth at chosen intervals (every few days).
- Extension: Look for patterns in growth, race your plants against each other.
Check out this great article from Parents that explains these concepts.
“A mighty and fearless superhero.”
Phonological Awareness: Ss words.
Find and write words and pictures in the text beginning with Ss on a Superhero Dad chart. Eg. Superhero, sunflowers, scarecrow, sturdy, star, serious, silly, sunglasses, sad.
Illustrate each word.
Write each word in a sentence.
“With my Dad… I can do anything. I can be anything.”
Colour in these awesome Fearless with Dad Activity Sheets from the story with your Dad. Experiment with different media including pencil, watercolour, crayons, etc.
Thank you to Katie and Giuseppe Poli for providing these activity sheets to My Little Story Corner!
More Father’s Day book reviews can be found here.
Purchase Fearless with Dad from Boomerang Books.
Lessons by Romi Sharp.
© My Little Story Corner 2015.
All sourced resources have been credited. These lessons are for personal or classroom use only and are not permitted for commercial use without written permission.